L'Alios - horn switchblade knife
Elegant handmade knife with a unique locking mechanism!
L'Alios - filed brand and design
The Alios takes its name from the sediments found in the Arcachon basin. This knife, designed in collaboration with Robert Beillonnet, twice Meilleur Ouvrier de France, has a rounded tip in homage to the knives used by fishermen. It will surprise you with its unique and ingenious rear locking mechanism.
Discover this smart locking system here!
This knife is sold in its cardboard box with its leather sheath and a certificate of authenticity.
Large size : open 22 cm / blade 10 cm / closed 12 cm
Small size : open 19 cm / blade 8,5 cm / closed 10,5 cm
French manufacturing in our Atelier in Bidart, Basque Country
4 types of horns available : buffle, ram, black or flamed cow horn.
5 types of steel :
- 12C27 stainless steel (Sandvik): premium stainless steel, high in chromium and carbon which gives it a robust and easy-to-maintain cutting edge.
- XC75 carbon steel : the steel of our grandfathers, a blade very easy to sharpen but getting oxidized.
- RWL34 stainless steel : very pure steel, made with the powder metallurgy technique. Modern steel, particularly efficient, very strong, tough with an excellent cutting edge and high resistance to rust.
- VG10 stainless steel or Suminagashi : composed of a central core covered on both sides with 33 layers of damascus which gives it a better rigidity and an excellent cutting edge.
- stainless damascus steel 160 layers : we can compare this technique with puff pastry. This steel is composed of RWL34 for the shiny parts and PMC27 for the dark parts, merged together at 1220°C, then hammered, stretched and folded several times on themselves. It is the best steel you can find nowadays !
Except plastics that are not sensitive to water, noble and precious materials we use for our creations like woods, horns, mother-of-pearl, fossilised ivory, etc, don't appreciate to soak in the water ! Just wash the blade with hot soapy water and dry carefully the knife with a soft dish towel. You can also moisturize the wood from time to time by rubbing it with a drop of vegetal oil. Our creations are not dishwasher-safe.